Strengthening Resilience: Promoting Positive School Mental Health Among Indigenous Youth
January 13, 2021
This free training, hosted by LaVonne Fox, PhD, OTR/L, Sarah Nielsen, PhD, OTR/L, and Thomasine Heitkamp, LCSW, provided participants with context and information related to the new publication developed by the Mountain Plains MHTTC entitled: Strengthening Resilience: Promoting Positive School Mental Health Among Indigenous Youth. This training provided participants with a chance to learn more about how to adapt the recommendations of this toolkit in their schools.
- Understand how to use resilience and culturally responsive practices to support the unmet needs of Indigenous youth.
- Develop a deeper understanding of how trauma impacts Indigenous youth, including historical trauma.
- Advance participants' understanding of the cultural context of Indigenous youth and how this relates to a school setting.
- Learn strategies for incorporating traditional practices such as the Seven Teachings and Circle of Courage into a K-12 setting.
- LaVonne Fox, PhD, OTR/L
- Sarah Nielsen, PhD, OTR/L
- Thomasine Heitkamp, LCSW