Northwest MHTTC School Mental Health
In addition to regular training activities and special areas of focus, the Northwest Mental Health Technology Transfer Center (Northwest) has received funding to support increased training and technical assistance for school mental health in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. To operationalize this support Northwest has partnered with the University of Washington School Mental Health Assessment, Research, and Training (SMART) Center, a national leader in developing and supporting implementation of evidence-based practices (EBPs) in schools, including prevention, early intervention, and intensive supports.
The Northwest School Mental Health (SMH) and Multi-tiered System of Supports (MTSS) Training and Technical Assistance (TA) Center, within the UW SMART Center, supports school mental health efforts with the goal to build a single system of delivery in which education and mental health systems are integrated across the tiers.
The primary center goals are:
- Provide training and technical assistance on implementation of mental health services in schools and school system
- Build infrastructure and create learning communities
- Support educational leaders to promote mental health for ALL
- Foster regional alliances and collaborative efforts
"WASA is 'beyond grateful' to NW MHTTC SMH for the timely training during a pandemic offered to our school district leaders during the past year. The workshop directly impacted students and staff members!"
*Quote from Mike Nelson, Assistant Executive Director, Washington Association of School Administrators
"Thank you for what you guys do through the NW MHTTC and SMART. A price cannot be put on the value I place in the information you guys have provided. It has been incredibly useful for my line of work."
*Quote from Sierra Jackson, QMHA Culture of Care Coach
AWSP/WASA Summer Conference 2022 - June 26 - 28, 2022 - NEW
The Washington Mental Health Summit 2022 - May 17, 2022 - NEW
Anchored in Our Roots Series Finale - COMING SOON!
2022 UW SMART (Virtual) Center Speaker Series - February 23 - May 25, 2022
- Strategies for Advancing Mental Health Equity in Schools by Dr. Kimberly Arnold - Recording Now Available!
- La Dra. Kimberly Arnold presenta: Estrategias para Promover la Equidad en Salud Mental en Las Escuelas | *Recording with Spanish Subtitles*
- Exploring the Consequences of Bias and Structural Racism on Service Disparities in Autism by Dr. Brian Boyd - Recording Now Available!
- Mindfulness for Teachers During Difficult Times: Building Resilience with Compassionate Teaching by Dr. Patricia (Tish) Jennings - Recording Coming Soon!
- What’s Going On: Choosing Understanding over Escalating and Punishing by Drs. Walter Gilliam & Tunette Powell - May 25, 2022
Washington OSPI MTSS PLC - October 2021 - May 2022
2021-2022 School Year
The 19th International Conference on Positive Behavior Support - April 13 - 16, 2022, San Diego, CA
The 20th Annual NWPBIS Conference 2022 - Still Connected: Relationships, Resilience, and Belonging - April 12 - 14, 2022, Tacoma, WA
Healing School Communities: Shifting the Dominant Paradigm to Center Student Wellness - February 8 - March 22, 2022
Leading With Youth Voice Series - January 24 & February 7, 2022
Managing Anxiety & The Return To Schools - November 3, 2021
Virtual PBIS Leadership Forum 2021 - October 26 - 28, 2021
Annual NCSMH Conference 2021 on Advancing School Mental Health - October 14 - 15, 2021
COVID's Disproportionate Impact on Youth Now and Tomorrow - October 7 - 8, 2021
WASA Fall Conference 2021 Permission To Feel... Permission To Lead - September 26 - 28, 2021
Lunch, Listen, and Learn: COVID-19 Back-to-Classroom THINK Toolbox and New Resources - September 10, 2021
2020-2021 School Year
Washington MTSS Fest - August 12, 2021
Virtual AWSP & WASA Summer Conference 2021 - June 2021
Washington MTSS PLC - January - June 2021
SMART Center 2021 Virtual Speaker Series - March 3, April 7, May 5, June 2, 2021
Optum Idaho Virtual Conference - April 13 - 14, 2021
The 18th International Virtual Conference on Positive Behavior Support - March 17 - March 19, 2021
Healing School Communities in the Context of Racial Violence: Where do we go from here? - February 25 & March 4, 2021
19th Annual NWPBIS Network Conference - February 24 - 26, 2021
WSCA Virtual Annual Conference - February 24 - 26, 2021
Alaska Autism Resource Center's 2020 Online Autism Conference - November 9-11, 2020 (Online)
Leading Our School Systems & Communities Through and After Wildfire - September 30, 2020 (Online)
2019-2020 School Year
Northwest PBIS Summer Institute - August 13, 2020 (Online)
Supporting School Mental Health in the Context of Racial Violence - July 31 & August 7th, 2020 (Online)
Virtual AWSP/WASA 2020 Summer Conference - June 29 - 30, 2020 (Online)
Virtual AWSP/WASA 2020 Summer Pre-Conference - June 11 & June 25, 2020 (Online)
The Well-Being Series April 2 - June 17th, 2020 (Online)
18th Annual Northwest PBIS Network Conference - February 26-28, 2020, Tacoma, Washington
Interconnected Systems Framework Discussion Hours February 20, 2020 - August 11th, 2020
2020 5th Annual Idaho Positive Behavior Network Conference - February 6-7, 2020, Boise, Idaho
Alaska RTI/MTSS Effective Instruction Conference - January 24-26, 2020, Anchorage, Alaska
Creating Trauma-Responsive Schools Webinars November 13, 2019 - May 13th, 2020 (Online)
Interconnected Systems Framework Webinars October 22, 2019 - January 21st, 2020
Special Events in Response to COVID-19
- Considerations for Systematic Screening PK-12: Universal Screening for Internalizing and Externalizing Behaviors in the COVID-19 Era - August 12, 2020
- Managing Anxiety & Return to School Webinar Series - September - December, 2020
- Self Care and Compassion for the Educator Webinar Series - October - December, 2020
- The ISF West Coast Party Webinars: Enhancing MTSS - Integrating Student Mental Health and Wellness through Systems, Data, and Practices - October 2020 - February 2021
- LEARN® Saves Lives Suicide Prevention Training for Parents/Caregivers, followed by Q&A Session with Suicide Prevention Experts - April 2, 2020
- Be Our Lunch Date? A "Think Tank" Time: A Gathering of School Mental Health Practitioners to Surface School Mental Telehealth Needs and Resources - April 10, 2020
- Educator Wellness Webinars - April - June, 2020
- Psychological First Aid – Listen Protect Connect/Model and Teach - May 13, 2020
- Building Protective Factors for Yourself and the School Community: The School Leader Series - April - June, 2020
- Student Life Skills to Survive & Thrive During COVID-19 & Beyond - Live Q&A Sessions May 19 & June 16, 2020
- Ambiguous Loss: Grieving in the Time of COVID-19, Followed by Live Q&A Session - May 27, 2020
- Resources for Supporting the Mental Health and Well-being of Children and Families During COVID-19 - June 11, 2020
- Hope & Cope 2020: A free webinar for youth age 14 - 21 - June 17, 2020
Northwest School Mental Health Supplement Reviews:
- ISF 101: An Introduction Recorded Webinar | Presentation PDF
- ISF 201: When School Mental Health is Integrated within an MTSS Framework Recorded Webinar | Presentation PDF
- ISF 301: Installing an Integrated Approach Recorded Webinar | Presentation PDF
- Spring 2022 School Mental Health Updates - NEW
- Winter 2021-2022 School Mental Health Updates
- May 2021 Northwest School Mental Health Newsletter
- April 2021 Northwest School Mental Health Newsletter
- March 2021 Northwest School Mental Health Newsletter
- February 2021 Northwest School Mental Health Newsletter
- December/January 2021 Northwest School Mental Health Newsletter
- November 2020 Northwest School Mental Health Newsletter
- October 2020 Northwest School Mental Health Newsletter
- September 2020 Northwest School Mental Health Newsletter
- August 2020 Northwest School Mental Health Newsletter
- Newsletter Archive August 2019 - July 2020
- School Mental Health Framework and Tool Guide
- Comprehensive, Integrated, Three-Tiered Models of Prevention (Ci3T)
- Idaho School Mental Health
- Interconnected Systems Framework (ISF)
- MTSS Resource Page (Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction)
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- National PBIS Technical Assistance Center
- National School Mental Health Best Practices: Implementation Guidance Modules for States, Districts, and Schools
- Northwest PBIS Network
- SAMHSA's Guidance to States and School Systems on Addressing Mental Health and Substance Use Issues in Schools
- School Safety
- Social Emotional Learning Modules (Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction)
- Supporting Student Mental Health: Resources to Prepare Educators
- Trauma-Aware Schools
- Trauma-Engaged Schools Framework (Alaska Department of Education and Early Development)
Looking for more resources? Check out our resources page here.
How to get involved:
- Join the mailing list for alerts about trainings, monthly e-newsletters, tools and resources. Sign up Here!
- Let us know about:
- School Mental Health and MTSS workforce needs.
- Upcoming events that could be shared with others and/or enhanced by SMH or MTSS presentations.
- Other state, district, or regional leaders who should know about our center.
- Partnership opportunities.
For more information, contact:
Kelcey Schmitz, MSEd
School Mental Health Director, Northwest MHTTC