What Every Mental Health Professional Needs to Know
Concerns about violence risk frequently arise in clinical settings. There is often confusion among providers about the boundaries of confidentiality, when and how to invoke their professional obligation to protect or warn third parties, and how to balance therapeutics and public safety.
Violence Risk Assessment & Management is a self-paced e-learning course that provides the necessary tools for clinicians to assess, manage, and stabilize threats of violence by teaching:
- Boundaries of confidentiality
- Clinicians’ duty to warn or protect potential victims
- Proven methods to assess and manage the risk of violence
Each self-paced training module includes:
- Real case vignettes
- A 3-item assessment to guide your learning
- Interactive practical exercises with feedback
- Dr. Sarah Kopelovich, a forensic clinical psychologist and Assistant Professor at the University of Washington School of Medicine based at Harborview Medical Center
- Dr. Katherine Michaelsen, a forensic psychiatrist at the Puget Sound Veterans Administration and Acting Assistant Professor at the University of Washington School of Medicine
- Dr. Tobias Wasser, a forensic psychiatrist at Whiting Forensic Hospital and Assistant Professor at Yale University School of Medicine
3.0 Hours Certificate of Completion Available
The course is offered on the online learning portal, HealtheKnowledge.
1. Your first step will be to create an account on HealtheKnowledge. Please use this link to create an account:
2. After you have completed your registration, login to the site by clicking the “Log in” button (in the upper right corner of your screen if you are on a desktop computer):
3. Once you are logged in, to register for the course, click the following link:
4. On the page, you will see a button that says “Register Now and Begin Course.” Click the button. You will be taken to the course as soon as your registration is complete.
If you have trouble with the above processes, please contact HealtheKnowledge via their 24/7 Help Desk.