“The limits of our language are the limits of our world” Language, Identity and Culture in Mental Health
This interactive presentation will describe the importance of linguistic responsiveness while providing multilingual behavioral health services. It will provide information around the interaction between language, identity and culture as well as resources and recommendations while working with Spanish speaking clients.
1. Describe the interaction between language, identity and culture.
2. Describe the impact around interpretation and translation on Mental Health services.
3. Comprehend the importance of linguistic responsive services in Mental Health.
Who should attend? This is a basic level workshop designed for mental health providers, graduate students, community health workers, school mental health providers, and school administrators.
About the speaker:
Ari Acosta, Behavioral Health Equity Specialist- is a bilingual mental health specialist currently working as a Behavioral Health Equity Specialist for the Texas Institute for Excellence in Mental Health at the University of Texas in Austin. She provides trainings and technical assistance to behavioral health agencies around Cultural Humility, Equity and the CLAS Standards. Ari has a Licensure in Psychology and two masters’ degrees: Sexology Counseling and Women & Gender Studies. She was a former professor and clinical psychologist in Venezuela; with more than eight years of experience in the field. Also served as a National Board member of Amnesty International Venezuelan section, providing presentations internationally around Human Rights Education.
Please read the following before registering:
• The National Hispanic and Latino Mental Health Technology Transfer Center use GoToWebinar as our online event system.
• Audio for the event is accessible via the internet. To receive audio, attendees must join the event by using computers equipped with speakers or dial in via telephone.
• After registration, a confirmation email will be generated with instructions for joining the event. To avoid problems with log-in, please use the confirmation email to join the event.