Expanding workforce diversity is a critical strategy to support improved access to health and health care for communities of color. To support this work, the PS MHTTC created a self-assessment tool to help mental health organizations explore their implementation of workforce diversity strategies: Assessing Workforce Diversity: A Tool for Mental Health Organizations on the Path to Health Equity.
This workshop explores each of the tool's six key domains to build workforce diversity:
- Leadership and Governance
- Orientation, Onboarding, and Ongoing Training
- Retention and Professional Development
- Partnership and Community Goals
This workshop outlines the purpose of these areas in strengthening workforce diversity and explore the different issues that require attention.
- Explore the importance of a diverse workforce in effectively addressing mental health disparities for the populations in your community.
- Identify the critical components needed to assess the successes and challenges of your mental health organization in building a diverse workforce.
- Identify areas in which your organization excels and also areas in which you may want to focus attention.
- Identify action steps to address areas where your organization is more limited and incorporate these action steps into an existing organizational plan (e.g., strategic, cultural competency, or diversity plan).
- Policy makers
- Mental health leaders
- Service providers
- Human resource officers
- Community partners
- Mental health advocates