"I enjoyed the emphasis on joy in the transgender experience instead of only acknowledging dysphoria and pathology. It's so important to reframe our language to a positive mindset: 'letting in' instead of 'coming out' or 'transitioning into yourself.'"
ABOUT THIS RESOURCE
This webinar provides a community-defined and evidence-based foundation for mental health providers serving queer and transgender communities. Drawing from historical and current perspectives, this webinar introduces a comprehensive approach to queer and transgender care inclusive of micro, mezzo, and macro-level interventions from the role of the clinician. Centering anti-racism, community lived experience, and an interdisciplinary framework, this webinar explores strengths, weaknesses, and best practices of mental health care for queer and transgender communities.
1. Develop historical context and evolution of transgender care, diagnoses, and pathologization
2. Identify strategies for establishing trust, rapport, and mitigating medical mistrust
3. Address the role of mental health clinicians as allies and co-conspirators in advocating for equity
4. Develop awareness and knowledge of diversity of transgender experiences and identities
Our facilitators always make reference to great resources during sessions. Find their lists below.
- Presentation slides
- Highlights & Key Concepts document
- Transgender Mental Health - Resources and Education Handout
- Gender Unicorn
- Gender Pronouns Chart
- Gender Minority Stress and Resilience Measure (GMSR)
- States offering Gender X Markers
- 2015 United States Transgender Survey
- UCSF Gender Affirming Health Program
- Sample demographic form for clients to indicate gender identity.
Books & Videos Shared by the Facilitator
- A Clinician's Guide to Gender-Affirming Care: Working with Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Clients by SC Chang, AA Singh, LM Dickey, and M Krishnan
- My Gender Workbook by K Bornstein (for adolescents exploring gender)
- The Gender Identity Workbook by AM Triska (for adolescents exploring gender)
- Voices of Transgender Adolescents
- LGBTIQ People Talk About Their Experiences Accessing Healthcare
- Pose (recommended by the speaker for its portrayal of transgender people by transgender actors)
- Center of Excellence on LGBTQ+ Behavioral Health Equity
- Inclusive Evidence-Based Practices in Gender Non-Binary Mental Health Services from SMI Adviser
- LGBTQIA+ Behavioral Health Resources from Northwest MHTTC
- Addressing Our Bias When Working with the LGBTQ+ Community (Parts 1, 2, and 3) from National Hispanic and Latino MHTTC
- Building Your Toolkit to Serve the LGBTQ Community
Ryan Kim Tiêu, Associate Clinical Social Worker
Ryan Kim Tiêu is an Associate Clinical Social Worker, former Executive and Mental Health Director at the Gender Health Center, a grassroots nonprofit staffed by and providing mental health, healthcare, and advocacy services for queer and transgender community members in Sacramento, CA. In conjunction with professional expertise, Ryan incorporates their lived experiences as a first-generation immigrant, queer, transgender, and young person of color into their praxis, training, and theories of change.